Google

Saturday, August 4, 2007

Underwhelming?

Leah recently posted a political cartoon noting the mudslinging and seemingly "petty" comments made by both Barack and Hillary. I feel conflicted about this. Not about Leah. I really like Leah. But about the commentary the cartoon makes. Don't get me wrong, I think they both made a mistake in continuing to comment on the meeting-with-rogue-nations and Pakistan issue. However, I think that Hillary calling Obama "naive and irresponsible" was completely relevant and necessary because his comments were naive and irresponsible. I know I'm perpetuating this issue by continuing to post on it, but I think that national security and foreign relations are pretty damn important, especially since this is what Dems looks weak on. If we call this to be underwhelming and mudslinging, then on what do we want our presidential nominees to comment? I would say invading an ally is rather important, and is a reflection of a nominee's foreign policy. It's a hell of a lot less sexy than say poverty or global warming, but it's probably one of the most, if not the most, important issues in the race. Not invading Pakistan per se, but reestablishing America in the global community, which includes how we go about addressing terrorism and its effects on other nations.

However, it's hard to hate on Hil since she hasn't directly attacked Obama about his rather outrageous Pakistan's address. She's instead used this opportunity to highlight her own strengths and positions on this issue. Most of the other candidates, especially Biden and Dodd as John mentioned, have directly refuted Obama. Also, I'm not so much underwhelmed as scared that we could have a president this inexperienced. Not the guy you want holding the nuclear codes, savvy?

I also think it's important to recognize that the Democrats are in a really great position to win the presidency. There are still 6 months until the primary, and so it's probably best to take it slow. Yet, at the same time, the only way to win the primary is to take this time to differentiate themselves, and that requires the candidates to address issues, such as, er, national security. It's a fine balance they need to strike, mudslinging vs. differentiating, and it's hard for the American public to understand that.

In other news, the Bourne Ultimatum is GREAT. So go and see it.

2 comments:

Leah said...

I agree, I think we're on the same page. What I was most unimpressed by was their attacks on each other after the Youtube debate concerning their comments about meeting with "the enemy." It seemed like they were both so eager to attack each other about anything, they both completely missed the point. So much for Barack's unifying attitude eh? That being said, Barack's comment on Pakistan is a completely different issue, and I'd like to hear more of what Hillary has to say there.

The Green Room said...

Hillary will stay quiet on Pakistan I think. Dodd and Biden have already spoken out against Obama so she'll probably sit this one out.